Friday, January 27, 2017

Getting my Chipotle Fix

I love easy throw in the crockpot meals for during the work week. I prep all my breakfasts and lunches on Sunday so that all that I have left to deal with is dinner. I really only "cook" a few nights a week because I prepare enough of that meal to last us a few nights worth of dinners.

A few years ago I was shopping at Trader Joe's and their sample for the day was carnitas with salsa verde on their tortilla chips, I never turn down a sample at Trader Joe's, but to this day I think it was my favorite. Fast-forward to this year and now their is a Chipotle near my work and we are hooked. We love Chipotle, like too much! I am drooling just thinking about the carnitas and their fresh salsa: I love to load mine down with all the good toppings that they have. We seriously would eat there every night if our wallets would let us, but unfortunately we can't. A few weeks ago I knew my week would be a little crazy between teacher snow days, school delays, and Report Card Night so I planned to place something in the crock pot that would allow us to come home to a warm meal. I found this wonderful recipe that I tweaked from Harper at Paleo Grubs.

 I wish I could say that I had time to sear it since the day I did it we were on a school delay, haha! I just tossed the seasonings that she suggested with the meat in the crockpot and turned that baby on low and called it a day.



Easy Pork Carnitas adapted from Paleo Grubs 


Ingredients:
2 lbs Boneless Pork Loin
1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
2 Tablespoons Onion Powder
1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
1/3 Tablespoon Chili Powder
2 cups Chicken Broth
Salt to Taste
Frozen Onions and Bell Pepper Mix (optional)

Directions:
Place the Pork Loin in the crockpot and sprinkle all seasonings on top of meat, add the frozen onions and bell peppers, and pour broth into crockpot.
Cook on low for 6-8 hours, mine cooked a little longer since no one got home in a timely manner, but it was still delicious. I saved the "broth" that it made to help warm it up since to me pork dries out when reheated.
I did not crisp mine up like suggested in the recipe because I was being a little lazy since by the time I got home I was ready to eat.
Both the hubby and I loved them just straight out of the crockpot. I topped mine with lettuce, cheese, and salsa verde.


Have you ever had Carnitas? If not give this easy recipe a try and let me know what you think!



Love,
Jamie Lynn



No comments:

Post a Comment